ENGLISH (COMPULSORY) Paper-I (Objective Type)
Time Allowed: 30 Minutes Max. Marks: 20
Four possible answers A, B, C and D to each question are given. The choice which you think is correct, fill that circle in front of that question with Marker or Pen ink. Cutting or filling two or more circles will result in zero mark in that question.Choose the correct option in meaning to the underlined words
(A) likely to happen (B) surely (C) suddenly (D) practically
(2) Are you suggesting we play a trick on Clay, in order to
carry out your mumbo-jumbo ideas?
(A) great (B) innovative (C) confusing (D) mature
(3) Your quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of
(A) preach (B) pursuit (C) request (D) sympathy
(4) Ranks broken, hearts perplexed, prayers coid,
(A) confused (B) prosperous (C) prominent (D) closed
(5) Thus exhorted the unfortunate man, in the greatest fear.
(A) suggested (B) provided (C) explained (D) urged
(6) Are you deliberately trying to confuse me?
(A) delightedly (B) dramatically (C) only (D) intentionally
(7) His thin figure was made all the more melancholy by tight-
(A) gloomy (B) graceful (C) healthy (D) active
(8) Of that colossal wreek, boundless and bare.
(A) despair (B) glory (C) might (D) ruin
(9) He answered me curtly. " I cleared this land".
(A) abruptly (B) not politely (C) very politely (D) angrily
(10) Fateh Dad's censure was purely religious.
(A) reaction (B) decision (C) disapproval (D) statement
Choose the correct answer :
(11) What did the foolish quack claim to cure?
(A) goitre (B) infection (C) persecution (D) ulcer
(12) Norma believed that Mr. Steward was a:
(A) guest (B) operator (C) salesman (D) psychiatrist
(13) The spaceship was :
(A) oval (B) round (C) elliptical (D) square
(14) The interior of the bus station was :
(A) deserted (B) drab (C) pleasant (D) comfortable
(15) I have a dream that my children be judged by the content
of their :
(A) skin colour (B) creativity (C) education (D) character
Choose the correct form of the verb :
(16) Let us go to the bookshop as soon as school
(A) will be over (B) was over (C) be over (D) is over
(17) I — in the rain for half an hour.
(A) am standing (B) have been standing (C) stand (D) standing (18) It usually……. here in June. (A) rains (B) rained (C) will
rain (D) rain
(19) The children — taken good care of. (A) has (B) have
(C) has been (D) have been
(20) I would like to have this suit .
(A) cleaned (B) cleaning (C) clean (D) to clean
Inter (Part-1) Lahore Board 2013
ENGLISH (COMPULSORY) Paper-I (Essay Type)
Group-llTime Allowed: 2:30 Minutes Max. Marks: 80
Answer in (3-5 lines/sentences) the following any SIX questions from Book-I (Short Stories):
2 (i) Why did Mr. Steward keep persuading Norma?
(ii) Why did not the old man follow the advice of his doctors?
(iii) What was the condition of the Bittering family on
hearing the news of the war on the earth?
(iv) What was the subject being discussed at the club?
(v) What was the remedy suggested^ by the physicians for
the disease of the King?
(vi) What was'fhe punishment inflicted by the villagers on
(vii) What are the qualities of the veterans of creative
(viii) What was the wisdom in selling the most valuable things?
(ix) How much did the Maulvi collect on every Bid?
3. Answer in (3-5 lines/sentences) any FIVE of the following
questions from Book-Ill ( One Act Plays) : 10
(i) How did Second Man accuse First Man of lying?
(ii) Why does the Girl not report her matter to the police?
(iii) Why do you think the Second Man says that the Girl is
smarter than the First Man?
(iv) What is the role of General Powers in the play?
(v) Why do Kreton’s people not travel much?
(vi) What is not very flattering according to Spelding?
(vii) What kind of Judge is Judge Applegarth?
(viii) Why do they want Wozzeck to come?
4. Answer in (3-5 lines I sentences) any FOUR of the following
questions from Book-Ill ( Poems ):
(i) What did the reader teil the rider about the valley?
(ii) What are the qualities of the Sindhi woman?
(iii) How does "fissuring the atom" cause suffering?
(iv) Why does the poet call our life a poor |life in the poem
(v) How do the attributes of God exercise their influence on
(vi) What is the present state of the Muslims according to
Allama Muhammad Iqbal?
5. Write a letter to your father explaining the causes of your
failure in December test 10 OR
Write an application to the Principal of your college for
condoning short of lectures.
6. Write a story on the moral lesson:
A friend in need is a friend indeed,
No pains, no gains. 10
7.(a) Explain the following lines with reference to the context : 5
And since to look at things in bloom Fifty Springs are little
room, About the woodland I will go To see the cherry hung
(b) Punctuate the following extract from Book -I: 5
but what can you cure asked the villagers i can cure the
goitre answered the quack an old woman whose throat was
swollen to a frightful size exclaimed o my son if you would
only cure my goitre i would bless you for evermore
(c) Use any FIVE of the folio wing pairs of words in your
sentences : 5
Accident; Incident Bridal; Bridle (iii) Dew; Due Pattern;
Patron (v) Vale; Veil Yoke; Yolk (vii) Waive; Wave 8. Translate the following passage into Urdu. (Short Stories
l am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. Some of you have come from the areas where your quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.
8. Candidates whose medium of Examination is English will write an essay on "Examinations". 15