0

Q: Discuus the symbolic significance of Santiago’s struggle to bring Martin to the shore.

 Ans:
 Hemingway is a novelist and a story teller. In the novel ‘The Old Man And The Sea’ he portrays very beautifully the old man's encounter with Marlin. 
The story shows how a man can triumph in spite of defeat. Santiago, the hero of The Old Man And The Sea is a professional fisherman. 
He went for fishing and saw one of his fishing lines shaking as a marlin was eating sardines covering the hook about 600 feet below his boat. The marlin after it was hooked started pulling the boat. He wished he had the boy with him. Marlin continued to tow the boat. Like two companions, the old man and the fish sailed smoothly for quite time.
 The old man wished repeatedly that the bdy were there. He fought with marlin bravely which is reflected in the following lines when he says ‘Man can be destroyed but not defeated.
He says to marlin, I will stay with you until I die. He was determined to hit his goal. He says, Man is not made for defeat He also says that I may not be strong as I think but I know many tricks and I have resolution.

Post a Comment

 
Top