12
Course: Compulsory English-I (1423)                                                                   Total Marks: 100

ASSIGNMENT No. 2
(Units 5–9)

Total Marks: 100                                                                             Pass Marks: 50


Q.1   How would you grant or refuse permission in each of the following cases? Use appropriate and different expressions for each situation.                                      (10)
        
         i.       Your colleague has requested to work on your computer in your office.
ii.            Your younger sibling is asking you to lend him/ her some money.
         iii.     A passerby wants to make an urgent phone call from your mobile.
         iv.     Your class fellow wants to get your study material photocopied.
v.            Your cousin wants to use your brand new camera in his/ her birthday par

Q.2   Select a suitable news editorial form an English newspaper of Pakistan. Read it carefully and then highlight the following. You are required to paste the news editorial on your assignment sheet along with your answers.         (10)

1.    Topic sentence

2.    Supporting details

3.    Main Idea

Answer-
Topic Sentence:
A report in this paper has shed light on a new initiative which will attempt to bring 35,000 non-practicing women doctors back into the field through the innovative use of technology.
Supporting Material:
Launched by the DOW university of Health sciences last year, the e-Doctor program has so far recruited 700 women medics in its training sessions. Many of these women left or were made to leave. 
These women left or were made to leave their careers many years ago, and now have adult children. The programme offers them re-training courses that will update their expertise and knowledge of the medical field and enable them to practice once more. The problem of women doctors not continuing to work after graduation, marriage or motherhood has been a long standing issue in our society and written about countless times before.
But there are also many men who leave the country to practice their profession in other lands. Unfortunately, and partly due to the brain drain and large number of non-practicing doctors, Pakistan has one of the world's lowest doctor to patient ratios. It takes many years to create a doctor, and the amount of time and money that go into producing the nation's health care providers are seen as a waste of resources if the medics are not in position to tend to the sick.
Main idea:
The main idea of this editorial is that we should make our best efforts to utilize our restricted resources though advance technology.

Q.3   Given below is a job advertisement. Suppose you intend to apply for the said post, how would you write an application? What details you would like to add to attract attention of your potential employer.                                                                    (20)

Related image

Q.4   Suppose you have to describe different social and cultural aspects of Pakistani society to one of your foreigner social media friends.  What details you would add to make your description vivid? Write a brief and concise descriptive paragraph to illustrate your answer.                                                                                           (10)

Q.5   Suppose one of your friends has recently helped you in the hour of need and saved you from a trouble. How would you express your appreciation and gratitude to him/ her? Use at least five different expressions to express your thankfulness.                                                                           (10)

Q.6   Write a detailed persuasive essay to convince people to use public transport instead of private cars. Add appropriate supporting details and arguments to make your essay compelling, for example, we should use public transport to decrease traffic on the roads as well as for the conservation of fuel.                                             (20) 

Q.7   Write a letter of apology for not being able to attend the wedding ceremony of one of your very close friends on account of some emergency at your work place.                                    (20)    

Q.l   How would you grant or refuse permission in each of the following cases? Use  appropriate and different expressions for each situation.

Ans: 
1- Your colleague has requested to work on your computer in your office.
I am really sorry but I can't allow you to use my office computer. I have some very important and confidential files saved on my computer and I cannot under any circumstances allow anyone to get access to them. I do hope you understand my position.
ii. Your younger sibling is asking you to lend him/her some money.
 I would gladly like to help you out. Just let me know how much money you need. I am your elder brother and you can come to me for anything you ever need.
iii. A passerby wants to make an urgent phone call from your mobile.
1 understand you are in some kind of urgency but I am sorry I cannot give my mobile to you. I do not have enough credit in my mobile for you to make a phone call. I am really sorry' .I can't help.

iv. Your class fellow wants to get your study material photocopied.
I will give you my study material and you can get it photocopied. But please do I have prepared my notes w ith a lot of hard work. And do return them as soon as you get them photocopied.
 Your cousin wants to use your brand new camera in his/her birthday parts .
You have asked me for my new1 camera, but I am really sorry I cannot lend it to you because my father won't allow it It is a brand new camera and my father gifted it to me on my birthday. If anything happens to it my father will not spare me.
Q.2 Select a suitable news editorial form an English newspaper of Pakistan. Read it carefully and then highlight the following. You are required to paste the news editorial on your assignment sheet along with your answers. (10)
i. Topic sentence
ii. Supporting details
iii. .Main idea
The given editorial has been taken from the 6th December issue of “The News'
The topic of the article is “Cricket Slump" and it has been written on the current tour of Pakistan cricket team to Australia and its embarrassing defeat at the hands of the cricketing giants.
Pakistan Cricket team underwent a number of changes in the team as well as the management before this tour and the home series with Sri lanka. The captain Sarfraz Ahmed was sacked and he wasn't even selected as a player in any of the formats The head coach responsibility was given to former captain Misbah ul haq. The experience of the head coach and the bowling coach Waqar Younis could not help the team at all because they failed to put up even a decent fight against the Australians. They lost both the test matches with an innings margin and even rain couldn't save their images.
Q: 3 Given below is a job advertisement .suppose you intend to apply for the.............................
Ans:

                                                                                                                         Hs # 5,st#2,samanabad
                                                                                                                         Lahore
                                                                                                                         21 January, 2020
Dear Hiring manager.
Your job posting for a Human Resources manager caught my attention because my HR management experience has been in a similar industry, so I am familiar with the challenges. In
addition to leading the HR department. 1 am a strategic business partner in my current position and serve on the executive team.
My twelve years in HR as an assistant, then generalist, and now manager, have allowed me to grow and develop professionally and as a leader.
You are seeking an individual w ith a strong passion to innovate and drive for solutions. Since I started the HR department from scratch in my current organization and have led to the adoption of all people processes, systems, policies, and procedures, 1 qualify. Personal accountability for results and my integrity are respected and unquestioned.
Your posting emphasizes an eagerness to leam and continually improve. I am active in the Society for Human Resources Management and regularly attend professional conferences. Even more importantly. I have fostered a learning organization in my current company.
I established a performance development and career planning process that utilizes both internal and external development opportunities for employees including mentoring, job-shadowing, team leadership, and training sessions.
I am most anxious to join an organization w here HR is respected and where I can continue to provide input to the strategic business issues while implementing forward-thinking HR and talent management strategies. Your advertised position appears to fit my experience, accomplishments, and education. My resume is attached and I am available for interview at any time.
My contact details are:

Mobile: 0305-............. Email: abdullah phantum@gmail.com Or by post at the above address                                                                                                  Regards.
                                                                                                               Abdullah

0.4 Suppose you base to describe different sodal and cultural aspects of Pakistani society to one of your foreigner social media friends. What details you add to make your desc ription vivid? Write a brief and concise descriptive paragraph to illustrate your answer. (10)
If there is a country whose culture is starkly contrasted by its international image, it has to be Pakistan. Pakistanis all over the w orld often face the dilemma of explaining w hat their culture really entails, thanks to years of news-media exaggeration and agenda setting. Beyond
democratic and economic disappointment dwells a world of Pakistani civil society that works resiliently against all odds to keep what matters most intact the country's vibrant culture Family comes first in Pakistan due to religious, cultural, economic and societal values. Pakistani society is not led by individualism but rather by collectivism, where family and other relationships stand strong.
Pakistan's culture is a melting pot of Indian, Persian, Afghan. Central Asian. South Asian and Western Asian influences.
There are over 15 major ethnic groups in Pakistan, w hich differ in physical features, historical bloodlines, customs, dress, food and music. Some of these include Punjabis. Sindhis. Baloch. Pashtuns. Kashmiris. Haaras, Makranis and Baltis. coming from regions as close to home as the Indus Valley or as far as Africa or Tibet.
Other than ancient ethnic elements, the religious influence of Islam has also strongly shaped Pakistani culture since it first came to the region in AD 700. The people of Pakistan arc helpful, friendly, approachable and humble. Guests, tourists and visitors, whether domestic or international, arc always welcomed with open arms.
 Even the pikhest laborers go out of their way to help new visitors. Cultural and religious beliefs encourage Pakistanis to show love and respect towards guests. In Islam especially, a guest is a blessing from God. and it is taught that they must be given the best treatment possible.democratic and economic disappointment dwells a world of Pakistani civil society that works resiliently against all odds to keep what matters most intact the country's vibrant culture Family comes first in Pakistan due to religious, cultural, economic and societal values. Pakistani society is not led by individualism but rather by collectivism, where family and other relationships stand strong.
Pakistan's culture is a melting pot of Indian, Persian, Afghan. Central Asian. South Asian and Western Asian influences. There are over 15 major ethnic groups in Pakistan, which differ in physical features, historical bloodlines, customs, dress, food and music. Some of these include Punjabis. Sindhis. Baloch. Pashtuns. Kashmiris. Ha/aras. Makranis and Baltis. coming from regions as close to home as the Indus Valley or as far as Africa or Tibet.
 Other than ancient ethnic elements, the religious influence of Islam has also strongly shaped Pakistani culture since it first came to the region in AD 700. The people of Pakistan are helpful, friendly, approachable and humble. Guests, tourists and visitors, whether domestic or international, arc always welcomed with open arms. Even the poorest laborers go out of their way to help new visitors. Cultural and religious beliefs encourage Pakistanis to show love and respect towards guests. In Islam especially, a guest is a blessing from God. and it is taught that they must be given the best treatment possible.

Q.5 Suppose one of your friends has recently helped you in the hour of need and sa\cd you from a trouble. I low would you express your appreciation and gratitude to him/her? Use at least five different expressions to express your thankfulness. (10)


Dear Saad,

Words cannot express how grateful I am for your help. You were ihere for me when I needed it the most. Thank you for everything that you’ve done to help me. You are a wonderful friend, and I appreciate your love, kindness, support, and generosity. I am incredibly fortunate to have someone like you in my life. I couldn’t have done w ith w ithout you. Your timely help got me out of the difficult situation and provided me the strength to move on. You have always been my support in my hour of need and I can t thank you enough for that I just pray that Allah almighty case your paths and bless you w ith happiness in your life.
Few people have the privilege of having such a supportive and giving friend. I am beyond lucky to have you in my life. Thank you for being there for me yet again. I am so grateful that you arc in my life.

                                                                                                                                 Love, Abdullah.

Q.6 Write a detailed persuasive essay to convince people to use public transport instead of private cars. Add appropriate supporting details and arguments to make your essay compelling, for example, we should use public transport to decrease trunic on the roads as well as for the conservation of fuel. (20)
As traffic congestion continues growing in urban areas, more and more cities have realized that investment priority should be given to public transport modes, such as metro trains, bus rapid transit systems  or buses, instead of personal vehicles. Simply put. public transport modes are more efficient than personal vehicles in terms of carrying and moving people around.
Public transportation systems bring many benefits to individuals, communities, and the local economy, but all too often, they don't get near the amount of attention that they should.
The increasing car use has generated various environmental, and economic problems. Environmental problems concern the emissions of toxic and harmful substances, which, among other things, contribute to global warming, smog and acid precipitation. Next, scarce raw materials and energy are needed to produce and use cars. The extension of road infrastructure causes distortion and fragmentation of natural areas, which might disrupt natural habitats.

the social level, car use threatens the urban quality of life because it is noisy, causes odor annoyance, local air pollution and yields traffic accidents. Transport has been identified as the

Public transportation contributes to both the economical and physical health of individuals, it brings financial benefits to communities, and it provides not only jobs in the industry itself, but is also a key component of a healthy business ecosystem by increasing mobility options for both job commuters and customers alike.
Many developing cities arc now building or planning to build metro. with an aim to get more people to use public transport instead of private vehicles. These efforts should definitely be applauded.
However, it is also important to look at those critical non-transport factors that are affecting people s decision on the use of public transport such as density, accessibility and walk ability Better urban planning and complementary investment in urban spatial environments to address issues are also very necessary.
Q.7 Write a letter of apology for not being able to attend the wedding ceremony of one of your close friends on account of some emergency at your work place. (20)
                                                                                             Hs No 5,St # 2 samanabad. Lahore.

                                                                                             January 27.2020.

Dear Saad,

Hope this letter finds you in tbe best of health and spirits. First of all. many congratulations to you on your wedding. May Allah Almighty bless you both w ith a happy and joyful life together!
I am extremely sorry that I could not attend your wedding. You arc my best friend and your wedding w as an extremely important occasion for me. I was looking forward to come to your wedding but at the nick of time there was an emergency in one of the factories of our company which is located out of Lahore. I had to report urgently at the site and stayed there week. Had I been in Lahore I would never have missed yiwr wedding at any cost.
wedding but at the nick of time there was an emergency in one of the factories of our company
which is located out of Lahore. I had to report urgently at the site and stayed there week. Had I been in Iahore I would never have missed your wedding at any cost.
I do understand if you arc angry with me but please do forgive me for not being able to be w ith you on this happy occasion I do hope it must've been a very joyful and fun filled event. You must have enjoyed all the festivities to the maximum. Please do send me the photographs of all
I will come to visit you as soon as I get free from my office tasks. Do convey my regards to your wife. I am sure you would have told her about me. I once again congratulate you on your marriage and pray for your happiness. Hope to hear from you soon.
                                                                                                             Yours loving friend.
                                                                                                                          Abdullah.





Post a Comment

  1. so nice your effort
    May Live You Long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Asset # 1 ,Q#6's answer was not given . Can someone answer the question #6 plz

      Delete
  3. Thank u .it is very helpful for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please1423 Ki assignment no 3 and 4 send or dy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1423 ki two assignment hoti hain 3rd and 4th nahi hoti

      Delete
    2. Abdullah bhai do I need to change something in assignment to make them different from actual assignment? Plz answer

      Delete
    3. No ,you can write as it is written.

      Delete
    4. Thank you
      Plz clerify that in
      1423 assignment 2 how to get editorial pic in questions#2 ???

      Delete
  5. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also Assignment Answer

    ReplyDelete

 
Top