0

 Course: Compulsory English-II (387)                               Semester: Spring, 2022

Level: Intermediate                                                                                                 

Please read the following instructions for writing your assignments. (SSC, HSSC & BA Programmes)

1.      All questions are compulsory and carry equal marks but within a question the marks are distributed according to its requirements.

2.      Read the question carefully and then answer it according to the requirements of the questions.

3.      Late submission of assignments will not be accepted.

4.      Your own analysis and synthesis will be appreciated.

5.      Avoid irrelevant discussion/information and reproducing from books, study guide of allied material.

 

Total Marks: 100                                                                             Pass Marks: 40

ASSIGNMENT No. 1

(Units 1–5)

 

Q.1    There are many things in our life that we like and few that we dislike. We express this likeness and dislikeness in different ways using different words for example like, love, hate, etc. Write down 10 things that you like about your life and 10 things that you don’t like. Read Unit for guidance.                                                                                   (10)

         Example: I love playful days, but I don’t like darkness of night.

 Ans: 

1-I enjoy playing cricket but I donot like playing hockey .

2- I am crazy about visiting new Place but I dislike noise.

3- I am interested in reading books but I hate loud music.

4- I am fond of music but I am not very fond of movies.

5-I am mad about ice cream but I dislike tea.

6- I like eating vegetables but I don't like Spicy foods .

7- I am quite fond of light music but I dislike light music.

8- I am crazy about fried rice but I don't like chicken.

9- I enjoy watching social movies but I quite dislike horror films.

10-I like wearing cotton clothes but I dislike coarse clothes

Q.2    In Unit 2 you have learnt about making future plans using different expression e.g. I’m thinking of, I intend to, I am going to, I haven’t decided etc. You have to make five sentences (using the given words) about your future plans. Follow the example.                                 (10)

         Example: I am going to play cricket this afternoon.

i.            Marriage party

ii.           Go to bank

iii.          Clean my room

iv.         Take language class

v.           Help my mother

1- Marriage Party  

I am going to attend a marriage party this evening . 

ii.           Go to bank

I intend to go to bank 

iii.          Clean my room

I am thinking of cleaning my room today as it looks very untidy 

iv.         Take language class

I have decided to take a language class soon.

v.           Help my mother

I am going to help my mother in the kitchen .

Q.3    Read the following passage and write appropriate function sentence in front of
each function word in the gable given. Follow the example. Read Unit 3 for guidance.                   (10)

        

I am planning of having a trip to Bahawalpur this weekend. It’s a beautiful city but I really don’t like spending summers over there. It is over 40 degree over there most of the time, but I prefer cold weather on warm. Last year during my visit in summer I got fed up. I think I should postpone my trip. Maybe it will not be so hot in Bahawalpur next month.

 Ans:

 

Function

Exemplary Sentence from the Paragraph

Example

Opinion

I really don’t like spending summers over there.

 

Description

 It is over degree  40 there most of the time

 

Preference

 I prefer cold weather on warm.

 

Probability

 May be it will not be so hot in bahawal pur

 

Stating Intention

 I think I should postpone my trip.

 

Talking about past

 Last year during my visit in summer I got fed up .

Q.4    Unit 3 you have learnt how to give instructions to others about different things. Look at the map below and write down five sentences giving direction to a friend who wants to reach restaurant from the bus stop.                                                                           (10)

Ans: 

 

Well Asad you start walking along your left hand street at about 100 yards You will see a crossing.Now you turn to the left hand street.At about 50 yards you will see a huge building .It is the Cinema.After watching the movie you walk back to the first crossing .From here you walk along to the left hand street .At the end take a turn to your right.Here you will see a cafe.Go straight along the road  and at along 50 yard you will reaching a crossing .Go straight about further 50 yard and at the end of the road you will see at your right the restaurant.
 

Q.5    Write an informal letter to your brother in Karachi giving him birthday wishes. Follow the format given in Unit 3 of your textbook.                                                           (15)

 Hs No 2 St No 5 

Samanabad Lahore.

11 June 2022

Dear Saad

Asslam u alakum

I am fine here and hope you 'll be fine there.How is life there in karachi.I hope that you shall be struggling hard to make life good.Next month 6 July you are going to cele berate your 15th birthday inshaAllah.I congratulate you on this occasion.Accept my heartily best wishes on this wonderful time.I hope you will having a good get together of your family and friends .I have also sent you your birthday gift through international corrier.I hope that you will  be delighted to see it .

        with best wishes

                                                                                                   your's scicerely

                                                                                                     

Q.6    In Unit 4 you have learnt how to make “wh” questions. Given below are some answers, you have to construct appropriate question for them following the example.                              (05)

         Example:    Answer          I live in Peshawar

                           Question        Where do you live

i.            I came from market.

Where did you come from?

ii.           We cleaned your car.

Who cleaned your car?

iii.         On Monday he will come home.

When he will come?

iv.         I drank your juice because I was thirsty

 Why did you drink my juice

v.          He is in the main lobby.

Where is he  

Q.7    Unit 5 is about Accepting and declining invitations. How would you invite the following people to the mentioned occasions? Follow the example.                                    (10)

         Example:    Brother         Home

         Invitation   Would you like to go home with me today?

        

People

Your mother

Friend

Neighbour

Cousin

Teacher

Occasions

Aunt’s home

University

BBQ

Fishing

Home

 Ans

1- Dear mother will you accompany me to aunty's house.

2-Saad come and accompany me to the univwersity.

3- Ashfaq shaib let 's have a BBQ party to night.

4-Qasim wll you accopany me for fishing to day ?

5-Respected Sir ,I shall be thankful if you please come to my home in the evening .

Q.8    Construct a Curriculum Vitae for yourself following the sample given to you in Unit 5 of your textbook.                                                                                                (10)

 Ans:  

Name: Saaad taimoor

Fathers name:Iffat Taimoor 

DOB: 24 December 1996

Nationality:Pakistani

Religion:Islam

Sex: Male

Maritul status:Single

Present Position: Student

Mailing address:  Hs 2 st 5 new union park samanabad lahore

Academic Qualification

Qualification           Year        Institution               Subject                        Grade

Matric                     2010       Govt school                Urdu,English            A

                                               lahore                          s.study,Science

Intermediate          2012       aiou                            English,science           A

Q.9    In Unit 5 your have learnt how to write job application letters. Write a job application letter to the manager of any new channel of your area for the vacant post of an English Editor.         (10)

 Ans:  

                                                                                                    Hs No 2 St No 5

                                                                                                     Samanabad LHR

                                                                                                     11 June 2022

The Personal Executive,

Orient advertising company

Post box 997

The Daily Jung Karachi

Dear Sir

With reference to your advertisement appeared in the Daily Jung 0n 20 June 2022 .I want to apply for the post of content writer in your agency.

I am 30  years old .I have got the degree of MA in English from the University of Punjab and secured 2nd division.I have 4 year of experience of working as content writing .I am currently working in blue moon agency in karachi.I Joined it 2 years ago.But as my family has shifted to lahore so I want a Job close to my home.

I have enclosed my curriculum vitae and all necessary documents and I would be pleased to give you any other information you required.

I look forward to hearing from  you soon .

                                                                                                yoour's scincerely 

                                                                                                   XYZ


Q.10  Read the following passage and write a very brief summary of it (around 70 words). (10)

        

The lunar calendar is based on the cycles of the moon, so the date of Lunar New Year is different each year. However, it is usually in January or February. As well as being celebrated in China, Lunar New Year is also an important festival in many other places, including Vietnam, Singapore and Korea.

 

Each year is named after one of 12 animals. A traditional story explains how this came to be. One day, the Emperor decided to have a race for all the animals in the country. Unfortunately, only 12 animals actually managed to get to the race. The Emperor rewarded them by naming the 12 years of the lunar calendar after them. The first to finish was the rat, so the first year is named after him. The other eleven, in order, were the ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog and pig.

 

Different places celebrate is slightly different ways, but Lunar new Year is very much a family celebration wherever it takes place. There are many Lunar New year traditions. For example, in Vietnam, people believe that the first person to enter their home in the new Year will decide their fortune for the year ahead. They are careful to invite someone who is kind, well behaved and successful.

 

In Korea, families often play traditional board games together, such as yunnori. In this game, teams take it in turn to throw four specially shaped sticks into the air. They move around the board depending on how the sticks fall.

 

In China, many people have firecrackers, which burn and make a loud bang. They watch street performances, where acrobatic dancers dress up as a lion or a dragon. They dance, accompanied by music and drums. People celebrate Lunar New Year in many different ways, but all the celebrations are about wishing everyone the very best for the year ahead. What do you wish for next year?

 Ans: The lunar Calender is based on the cycles of the moon.Luner ,new year is an important festival in many countries.According to a traditional story each lunar  year is

named after an animal.Lunar new year is a family celebration .Countries like  vaitnam,korea and china people enjoy tasteful dishes,dance ,play ,music and make merry .All the celebratins are about wishing everyone good luck for the yrear ahead .Many traditions  are attached  to lunar new year celebration .

Post a Comment

 
Top