0

Course: Compulsory English-I (386)                               Semester: Spring, 2022

Level: Intermediate   

                                                       Assignment no. 2

Question no 1: You have read how to apologize in Unit 6, Section A. Given below are a few expressions of apology. Use them in sentences.

1. I am extremely sorry
2. It was wrong on our part
3. We deeply regret
4. It’s my fault
5. I apologize Answer:
Apologizing:
1. I am extremely sorry; I could not see you off at the airport.
2. It was wrong on our part that we missed your wedding ceremony.
3. I deeply regret that I could not attend your birthday party.
4. It’s my fault that I missed the class.
5. I apologize for being so late.

Question no 2: In Unit 6, Section B, you have learnt how to use cohesive linkers. Write a paragraph on your school day routine using the cohesive linkers given below:

Because
Or
Again
For
Finally
Answer:
I wake up at 5:00 in the morning. First, I take a shower. Next, I go into the kitchen and prepare breakfast. After that I set up the table. Later on, I wake up my younger ones. Meanwhile I get dressed and join the family for breakfast. Afterwards I go to my college. I read there till 2:00 pm finally I reach home at about 2:30. Then the whole family eat lunch together. After that I say prayer and take some rest. Later I do my home work till 7:30 pm. At about 8 pm the whole family dine together. Then I watch some drama on TV. Finally, after Eisha prayer at about 10:00 pm I go to sleep.

Question no 3: In Unit 7, Section A you learnt how to give reasons. Convince your father to let you go on a study tour with your friends.

Answer:
My dear Father,
Assalam-o-Alaikum. You will be pleased to hear that our school has arranged a trip to the beautiful valley of Kashmir for a week. I think, that I should avail of the opportunity. The trip will be of educational character and also provide the recreation and escape from the burning summer heat. Our teachers will also accompany us. Dear father, would you kindly allow me to join the tour? Convey my respects to dear Mom and love to Nomi.
Your loving son, 

Saad taimoor

Question no 4: You have read in Unit 7 how to scan text. Read the following text quickly and fill in the table with related information?

2013        showed  survey       Cooking tea in UK...      21 April...  Green tea... People celibate  this day to
Many countries have their own strong cultural practices involving tea. The nation which drinks most tea is Turkey, where a 2013 survey showed that people drank an average of ten cups a day! This was followed by Ireland, with the UK coming in third place. Other countries with an obsession with tea include Iran, Russia and Morocco. It is also a popular drink in china and India, where most of the world’s tea is grown.
Many forms of tea exist around the world. Green tea is popular in china and Japan. In India, tea is often prepared with spices and boiled in both water and milk, and Tibetans commonly drink tea with butter and salt. In the UK, tea is typically is variety of black tea and can be prepared with loose tea or teabags. It is made with boiling water, allowed to brew for about five minutes and then mixed with a little milk (and possibly some sugar).
On 21 April, tea parties are held in cafes, pubs, hotels and tea rooms across the UK. Many of these events aim to encourage people to try different varieties of tea and to appreciate how drinking it with others can enrich
their lives. Some of these events also promote sustainably produced tea and better prices and working conditions for farmers, while others raise funds for different charities from the sales. However, people observe this special day, it’s about appreciating the opportunity that sharing a cup of tea gives to people to connect with one another.
Answer:
1-2013 survey showed that people drank an average of ten cups a day.
2-Cooking tea in UK for about five minutes and  then mixed with a little milk.
3- 21 April tea parties are held across the UK.
4- Green tea is popular in China and Japan. 

5-People celebrate this day to connect with one another.

Question no 5: In Unit 8, Section A, you have read how to use the technique of anticipation in reading. Given below are the title/front covers of two books. Anticipate the nature and purpose of each of the book.


I can fly -1


Answer:

Book-1- I Can Fly:
1. This is a great children's book about imagination.
2. The book may have amazing lesson to teach to kids.
3. The fact that makes it successful is the playfulness, creativity and full of life.
4. The book is about a girl and all the things she can do.
5. He illustrations and the story may be timeless and interesting for those, who love animals.
Book 2-Jurassik Park Institute:
1. He book may be interesting for kids as it has colorful dinosaur stickers.
2. Kids may also learn cool facts about dinosaurs while they play in this fantastic dinosaur preserve.
3. The book has 16 full color pages of jungle backdrops and fun activities.
4. Kids may like the book very much as it has colorful pictures and easy vocabulary.
5. If your kids like dinosaurs, then this is the book you should get.

Question no 6: You may like some of the following activities and may dislike others. Give at least one reason for liking or disliking each of them. Read Unit 8 for guidance.

Watching
Cricket
Reading
Sewing
Playing
Basketball
Eating Ice
Baby sitting
Jogging
Eating
Sweets
Listening to
Music
Looking at
Stars
Answer:
My likes and dislikes with reasons:

1. Watching cricket: I enjoy watching cricket as it is a thrilling game.
2. Reading: I like reading because it transports me to a new world.
3. Sewing: I don't like sewing as it is not a hobby or recreation for me.
4. Playing basketball: I enjoy playing basketball as it gives me a good exercise.
5. Eating ice: I don't like eating ice as it aches my teeth.
6. Baby-sitting: I like baby-sitting of my neighbors sometimes.
7. Jogging: I am fond of jogging as it keeps me fit.
8. Eating Sweets: I dislike eating sweets as they have many negative health effects.
9. Listening to Music: I hate listening to pop music as it gives me anxiety.
10. Looking at Stars: I feel so good looking at stars as it gives me sense of awe and calm.

Question no 7: You have read in Unit 9 how to write narrative paragraphs. Write a narrative paragraph on any event. Include the following points.

1. Subject or theme or the topic
2. What, where and when of the event
3. A proper beginning
4. A proper ending
5. Languages Spoken:
Answer:
A true event of my life:
Life is a mixed blend of joys and sorrows. But sorrows leave a deeper impression on life. It was in my childhood that one morning my mother got ready to see my aunt who lived in Multan. I also insisted on going with her. So, she took me and we both started for the bus stand. Soon we got into a bus and after a long journey we reached Multan. Here at the bus stand, there was a great rush.
It was my bad luck that I lost hold of my mother’s hand. I started crying. I did not know what to do? In the meanwhile, a kind old man picked me and tried to find my mother. Thank God, soon we found out her. She was crying and looking for me around the same bus. She was overjoyed to see me. I will never forget this strange incident of my life.

Question no 8: You have read about making prediction in Unit 9, Section B. Read the following passage Predict what event is most likely to occur next?

What evidence from the text supports your prediction?

There was once a 1 joy whose father one day told him that he was, now, old
enough to watch over the sheep while they were grazing. Every day, he had to take the sheep over the grass fields and watch them as they grazed to become strong with thick wool. The boy was unhappy though. He wanted to run and play, not watch the boring sheep. So, he decided to have some fun instead. He cried ‘Wolf! Wolf!,’ until the entire village came running with stones to chase away the wolf before it could eat any of the sheep. Once they saw that there was no wolf, they left muttering under their breath about how the boy was wasting their time and giving them a good fright while at it. The next day, the boy cried again, Wolf! Wolf!’ and, again, the villagers rushed there to chase the wolf away. As the laughed at the fright he had caused, the villagers left, some angrier than the others. The third day, as the boy went up the small hill, he suddenly saw a wolf attacking his sheep. He
cried...
Answer:

Making Prediction

There was once a boy whose father.......................................... he suddenly saw a wolf
attacking his sheep. He cried, "wolf, wolf' but this tune the villagers did not come to rescue the sheep. The little boy lost three sheep that day, all because he cried wolf too many times while there was no wolf.

For all other Solved Assignments click on this link

                       Solved Assignments aiou spring 2022

Post a Comment

 
Top