3

A VISIT TO A HOSPITAL

 One of my friends is a doctor at a local hospital Once I went to see him during his duty-hours. He was going on his daily round in the hospital. So I accompanied him as he visited patient after patient, from one ward to another It was a small hospital. It had three wards, one for male, pa'tients, one for female patients and one for children. 

Hospital













The doctor being male, was to visit only the first and the third ward. As we entered the first ward, I saw some thirty beds arranged opposite to each other with a passage between them. Men lying on them wore striped clothes. My doctor friend stopped at the first bed The poor fellow had broken his leg in a motor accident. The bandaged part of the leg indicated the place of injury. He complained to the doctor of severe pain The doctor told the nurse on duty to give him aspirine.
 And moved to the next bed. This person had a serious stomach trouble for which he liad to be operated upon. He was, however, recovering fast.The next two , patients were asleep so the doctor inquired from the nurse of their condition. In about forty-five minutes, the doctor had examined patients and gave instructions in each case. 
My ftiend must have, been very kumane in treating his patients, for I saw that almost welcomed him with a cheerful, confident smile. But I knew behind. ' these smiles was hidden bitter pain and heart rending miseri. That day l realized how helpless a man could be before disease. There were those who had sore eyes, those who had fractured arms, those who suffered from small-pox, typhoid and cancer. 
Then we entered the children’s ward .I was grieved to see (he little boys and girls suffering from fever, typhoid and other such diseases. The doctor took thirty minutes to Complete his round. I kept on looking. In the meantime, at the innocent faces. Some of the small boys and girls were crying with pain. some were sleepingwhile others were eating the sweets brought by their parents. 1 spent about one hour and a half in the hospital But I did not think I had wasted the time On the contrary. 
I had perhaps for the first time, seen a tragic but real aspect of human life That day, 1 understood why it is vain to be proud and haughty Man is great but he is also helpless. And the expressions I observed on die patients’ faces remembered Allah in their trouble, repented their sins and implored the Almighty to have mercy on them. 
I felt as if this experience had renewed my faith in Allah As I came out of the hospital, I had a feeling that I had been changed from within. I felt sympathy for the suffering men and children and I realized the helplessness of man. The visit to the hospital taught me the lesson of humility which I could not have learnt otherwise.

Post a Comment

  1. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks  google ads

    ReplyDelete

 
Top