1

Letters to relatives 

A letter to your younger brother, suggesting to him some books he should read. 

 Examination Hall.
 October 11,2013 
 Dear brother,
 I congratulate you on your joining the College. You are lucky in getting admission to one of the best colleges . I am glad to know that you are trying to adapt yourself to your new environment . Now it is up to you to learn from the books and your learned professors, and get Knowledge so essential for leading a balanced and happy life. 
 You have asked me to suggest to you some books for your reading. I need not emphasize the important part played by great books in moulding one’s character. You come across die greatest philosophers, thinkers, statesmen, dramatists, novelists and story-tellers in the world of books.
 To understand human character, there is nothing like the study of fiction. To begin with, I recommend novels and short stories by Thomas Hardy such as "Far from the Madding Crowd" "Two on a Tower" and "Woodlanders". You will find how life-like his characters are and how minutely he describes Nature. You will also enjoy "Alice in Wonderland". This book will tell you how humour is created out of nothing. 
 Then read a few novels by Scott and Alexander Dumas "Talisman" and "Three Musketeers". You will find how interesting history becomes when it is blended with romance and imagination. These books will give you great pleasure and will become your lifelong friends. Once you develop a taste for them, your appetite for more will go on increasing with each book you read. Hope to meet you in winter holidays. 
Your’s affectionate brother, 
 X.Y.Z (Name). 

A letter to a younger brother, pointing out evils of cramming

  Examination Hall.
 October 11,2013.
 Dear brother, 
 1 received your letter yesterday and came to know that you have settled at your new place. 
You also seem to have adapted yourself to the hostel life. Dear brother, you are now studying in a college I know that the difference between the Matriculation and the Intermediate standards is great. You should try’ to bridge this gap by intelligent work. 
When the courses of studies are lengthy and difficult, the students are tempted to adopt short-cut methods. They buy 'notes' and try to memorize answers to important questions. 
They do not care to read their textbooks - difficult as they appear to them. It is the habit of cramming that I warn you against. Remember that the habit of cramming disables a person from thinking for himself. He always wants ready-made solutions to his problems. He rarely uses his brain.
 He merely memorizes what he finds. The result is that the power of original thinking dies out in him. He is content to accept second-hand ideas. It checks the growth of his personality. 
So if you want to sharpen your intellect,and not deaden it, you should never resort to cramming. It may seem an easy way to success but it is dangerous. If you want to preserve your individuality, always think for yourself. 
Read your textbooks thoroughly and find out answers to questions from within the text. I hope you will act upon my advice. 
Yours affectionately, 
Name. 

A letter to your father explaining the cause of your failure in examination 

Examination Hall.
 October 15,2013.
 My dear father 
You must have received the result card of my December test. By now I have failesd in chemistry ,though by a few marks .But you should not be angry with me.I am not much to blame. As you know,I had an attackof malaria before the examination and layin bed for a couple of days .
This left me very weak and I could not study properly.After regaining health I tried hard to make good the loss.But the time was short and I could not do full justice to all the subjects Unfortunately our professor of chemistry was transferred during that period .His successor took some time in joining the college. 
We remained without a teacher for more than fortnight .This increase my difficulties and I remained weak in chemistry. I have begun working hard now, and have made up my deficiency in almost all the subjects , I am confident of securing food marks in the annual examination .
 I hope confident of securing good marks in the annual examination . I hope you will forgive me this time . 
Kindly pay my respect to all other. 
Yours affectionately, 
X.Y.Z (Name). 
Previous.................  More letters.................. Next           

Post a Comment

 
Top