0

  How does Emily Dickinson view death in "Because I Could Not Stop For Death"?

How does Emily Dickinson view death in "Because I Could Not Stop For Death"?
Mortality is probably the major theme in this poem. It’s all about the speaker’s attitude toward her death and what the actual day of her death. Dickinson paints a picture of the day that doesn't seem too far from the death. The speaker is not scared of death at all and seems to accept it.
Emily has beautifully described the approaching of death who is good-natured and civilized. The poem can be real as an expression of the poetess’ fear of death. Every person, whether religious or not, always desires to live longer keeping death at distance as long as possible with the approach of old age one feels fear of approaching of death. Drive in the coach and immortality are also elements of basic fear. As the setting sun loses its light, in the same way, a young man loses his strength in old age and finally reaches the grave. The description of setting sun, the grave and journey all fill our hearts with fear. Fear hovers over us from the very beginning of the poem till end.

Because I could not stop for Death (479)

Emily Dickinson :1830-1886 
Because I could not stop for Death ,
He kindly stopped for me
The Carriage held but just Ourselves – 
And Immortality.
We slowly drove – He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility – 
We passed the School, where Children strove:
At Recess – in the Ring , 
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain , 
We passed the Setting Sun ,
Or rather – He passed us :
The Dews drew quivering and chill '
For only Gossamer, my Gown ..
My Tippet – only Tulle –.
We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground :
The Roof was scarcely visible ,
The Cornice – in the Ground ,
Since then – 'tis Centuries , and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads
Were toward Eternity –

Post a Comment

 
Top